PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How desirable is the 'job' (jet airline pilot) these days?
Old 25th Jun 2004, 21:29
loaded1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JTL:

I dont think you are a "professional pilot" at all, just a wind-up merchant, with motives that one can only guess at.

If you were, you'd know the insidious nature of fatigue and that, by definition, fatigue, as opposed to mere tiredness, is not something over which one has conscious control.

If you could control your response to it, it wouldn't be fatigue.

I am sorry, but I dont think you know what you are talking about.

Fatigue is such a serious issue in airline rostering right now that it deserves the greatest concern. Recent proposals for a European-wide rostering regime by an MEP, (who has now lost his seat), Mr. Simpson, confirm this.

These were not based on ANY objective science at all and represented a substantial degradation on the UK's existing CAP371, itself prone to abuse as recent alterations to it by the CAA confirm.

It is a matter of deep concern that a substantial operator from the UK is able to flout even this document and its protections against multiple early starts by virtue of being a company incorporated somewhere else, (Ireland).

JTL, your assertion that individuals should stand up and defy their employing corporation proves to me the dubious nature of your post. You just are not living in the real world to say this. The only safe response from an employee is a collective one and I urge everyone to be involved to achieve rostering criteria that, as a basic minimum, are based on objective scientific criteria for the prevention of fatigue.

Fatigue is a killer, and every seasoned professional pilot knows it.

Last edited by loaded1; 25th Jun 2004 at 22:00.