PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - need a lucky break
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2004, 18:07
dodo_uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need a lucky break

As my user name (dodo_uk) indicates, I am flightless and heading for extinction at the age of 34, and I live in the UK.

The bottom line is, I really want to fly. I could finance my way through my PPL, but I could not justify doing so unless I knew I could go further and make a career out of it, and turn the cost into an investment.

I have flown as passenger in fixed wings, choppers and balloons - and crashed in a balloon too (experiencing ground rush while packed into a hamper is not much fun). I also love flying RC planes, simulators and so on.

I have had one trial lesson in a Cessna which confirmed my enthusiasm to get my wings. I realise that the reality of flying for a living, probably isn't as fun or as glamorous as the fantasy, but it would suit me down to the ground and up again!

Can anyone please give me any pointers here. Is it possible for me to get some sort of sponsored training at the tender age of 34? What are the chances of me being able to make a career as a pilot now? I would be happy with any sort of pilot job, flying any sort of fixed wing.

Training to commercial standards and qualifications at my local flight school would cost me about £40,000 which is way beyond my reach. At a push I could maybe cover half that cost, but only if there was 99% chance of making a living out of it in the long run.