PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So How Do You Get Back Down?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2004, 17:05
murphy1901

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question So How Do You Get Back Down?

While I’m not an instructor, I thought this would be the best place to post the question that recently popped into my head!

While sitting outside our flying club last week, I watched a student and instructor in the circuit. After 5 or 6 circuits they taxied in, the instructor jumped out and off went the student on his first solo. He completed his solo circuit and came back to the club with the grin that I remember well myself (Well, it was only a year ago for me!).

As I watched him on his maiden solo circuit, I got thinking. What would be the procedure if the following scenario were to unfold?

While the student is making his way round on his first circuit, another aircraft landing is too high/too low/too fast/to slow and decorates the only runway with bits of aircraft. Lets assume it’s serious enough (god forbid) to close the runway for the next few hours.

What happens to our erstwhile student? (Assuming (another assumption) that flying in circles until the runway is clear is not an option)

I know that at that time in my training, I had very little navigation training or experience and I doubt that I would have been able to perform the necessary diversion to another airfield.

Is there such a thing as a recognised procedure for such an event or is it deemed so unlikely that it has never been fully considered?