PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Are Integrated FATPLs Preferred?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2004, 22:53
hifive11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Homerj

It makes me mad when it is automatically assumed that those who have gone down the integrated route have rich Daddy's and, at best, are just about ok pilots. This sort of remark has been posted on many occasions and I have resisted commenting on it until now as I didn't want to fuel the integrated v modular argument, but enough is enough. I certainly don't have a rich Dad and I do not come from a rich family. I worked hard as an air traffic control assistant and when off duty worked in a bar to help save towards my integrated course. I was then lucky enough to be able to borrow the rest of the required funds but will be in debt for years.

Reading the many posts on this subject, I believe that those going down the modular route also probably have to obtain a large amount of funding through loans etc, maybe they even have parents who are prepared to assist them along the way, so what is different?

I chose to go down the integrated route, not because I thought it would make me a better pilot, or make it easier for me to get a job because I didn't believe that for a moment. I did it because it suited my personality best. I wanted and needed the companionship of like minded people in the same environment. I enjoy having fun and a good time and at the same time the school gave me the discipline I needed for study.

I have at last learnt, which I never did whilst taking 'A' Levels etc, how important self discipline is. I now have the right attitude which will help me progress further with my career and to undertake all the required study that will be needed in the future. In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that it has only just begun (just hope there is time for the odd party or two). I admire people who have gone down the modular route as I believe I can understand the pressure they would be under, studying whilst holding down a full time job; that has to be so tough. I am not sure that I could have done that.

I am aware of at least a couple of airlines that have taken on low houred guys from both the integrated and modular routes. I believe that it all depends on how you sell yourself on the dreaded application form. It doesn't matter how you got that very expensive bit of paper called a licence, as long as you have got it.

Slightly off topic I know, but forget the route of obtaining your (F)ATPL for a moment, we all need to think about trying to avoid paying for type ratings because adding that expense to original training loans just makes the cost of our chosen career absolutely ludicrous and probably beyond the means of many. It is not right, so let's hope the perceived upturn in the industry is the start of the downfall of this further terrible financial burden.

Ah that is good, I am not mad anymore, so perhaps I will be off for a bit of light refreshment!

hi5

Last edited by hifive11; 25th Jun 2004 at 07:48.