PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFTS groundschool
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2004, 22:32
santiago15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did EFT groundschool about 4 years ago and defo remember Willy Clamp teaching us how to use a DC. That said I think it is entirely inappropriate for airborne single pilot ops.

Some air forces (eg. Aus and US) teach their studes to obtain a met wind and drift correct their headings on the ground. This however, is undoubtedly easier than the airborne MDR method. As such, were the RAF to adopt the use of the DC on the ground as opposed to MDR, it would certainly be a 'dumbing down' of EFT, BFJT and AFT - Hawks.

METS studes ARE taught to use the DC both in the air and on the ground (remember that when making your 'waiver recommendations' BEagle.) However, take any student off 208 Sqn (or BFJT for that matter), and after a 15 minute chat they could easily use a DC. It isn't rocket science after all.

Furthermore BEagle, I propose to you that the 'hostility expressed' arises from the younger element due to your perceived arrogance. Remember, the guys hitting the front line these days do so with less hours than their predecessors. That doesn't make them lower calibre individuals. It makes them victims of budget constraints.

Whilst you may or may not be intending to have a dig at the yoof, your posts often read that way and I'm not surprised people take them personally.