PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How desirable is the 'job' (jet airline pilot) these days?
Old 23rd Jun 2004, 21:35
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T.Goaf.

Sorry about that; no darts intended.

You make some good points, but; always there are buts:

I disagree with 5/3. There is a great desire within ej to adopt the 5/3 system from RYR in preference to their own 6/3(7/2). I can tell them that this is no sun-blessed ideal. The 5/3 boys say that after day 4 you are tired; after day 5 your are knackered. They know it from the inside. It is just that the ej roster is so Sh@#%y that anything semingly better will do. Fallecy.

The ground staff shift workers 4 & 4. 2 earlies 2 lates 4 days off. I have long advoacted that this system will produce the productivity required of flight crew without the social distress and tiredness of traditional rosters. 5/3 is not suitable for european short haul. What is happening at the moment is papering over the cracks and tinkering with things. A total radical re-think is required.

By the way; I have a friend in a major carrier where there is a computer based bid line system. This allows you to bid what you wish; not a line but type of duties: i.e. weekends, lates earlies, long haul, short haul, night stops, intercontinental etc. As long as your bid includes 75 flight hours credit it will be considered. The computer sorts it out with no guarantees. It seems very succesful and the crews are generally happy. there is no favouritism, the company achieves it's budget and the crews resepct the system and have high morale. Sounds good to me, but when suggested to UK short haul airlines it was rejected out of hand. They had no understanding of Larks & Owls, or those with children or not etc etc.
Closed minds make for sad people and even worse employers.