PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attention all BA wannabes!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2004, 13:29
Airbus Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the original posting was very uesful, accurate and concise, so thanks!

Its a very hard decision for FOs at the moment. Most of the charter carriers are stagnating, so if you are still RHS you'll be there a while. How long, no one knows, because none of the companies will divulge their plans. But they are not anticipating much in the way of expansion, particularly after taking a hard hit in the run up to and aftermath of Sep 11th, when the airlines were expanding too quickly.

BA don't offer anything like they used to, but at least when you have been there some time you get a much better lifestyle and pay.

The other option is to join one of the low cost carriers. EasyJet need loads of pilots, and command time is quick. But once you've got your command, what then? 20 years doing the same thing, the same routes, the same loads of sectors. And are they secure?

Its not a good time to be an experienced, or slightly older, jet FO.

If you work for a charter airline its a long time to command.

If you go to BA its a long time (perhaps never get) a command.

Or get a command with EasyJet but have no changes in your career for the next 20 or so years.

I think its right that BALPA members are trying to improve BA's offer. Most airlines base their pilots Ts&Cs on BAs, so its to all our benefit to support the BA pilots in this. I think the Ts&Cs for new pilots joining BA are pretty poor, and from what I hear although many people have applied, most will not be definitely taking up an offer with BA, when it comes.

There are lots of MyTravel pilots applying, I can see their point, but for many of us, we'll not be beating a path to BA's door - I think that might surprise them.