PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair stop 89 year old travelling to Wedding
Old 23rd Jun 2004, 05:39
jonathang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
matkat : Jonathan, that is precisely what is wrong with this system,you refused travel to someone with a government issued ID card for which gives him access to some of the most secure areas in this country but not to an FR flight!The thing is You are not trusted with any discretion and this has instilled a "More than my jobs worth" syndrome,it is not Your fault but is most certainly FRs systems fault.Please don"t harp on about safety etc we all realise the need for it but there should be some leeway or else the system become discredited,I think (but not sure)that FR now accept military F1250s is this true? and if they do,do You not think that the system must be an ass for refusing them in the first place just because someone forgot to put them on the FR list of approved ID.After all it now appears that student IDs are not acceptable when previously they were.
Yes, I refused travel to someone with a Government issued ID. I not only made that decision on the grounds it is FR procedure but I also agree with it.

The gentleman in question had the capability and should have planned ahead and checked what was required.

I would not assume I can travel on my F1250 when travelling with other airlines.

Also this would be unacceptable ID to enter another country. FR has decided to accept 4 forms of ID so when training check-in staff they can quickly process people without the need for further consultation. If they allowed MIL F1250 ID for travel on Internal UK flights and not on International flights mistakes would happen which would cost the company thousands.

Bottom line I stand by FR on this one.

Just for the argument a military base would not allow you access using a passport just because you misplaced your F1250.

Also as previously states Ryanair don't accept student ID's in the matric sense only the ISAC cards.

And no Ryanair still do not accept F1250 for travel.

Crepello : The rules seek to prevent unauthorised access to an aircraft. They prohibit incompetent (in the legal sense) staff from making exceptions. If a rule is bent, the system is compromised.
The 4 forms of ID for a UK domestic flight are not designed solely for the prevention of unauthorised persons getting access to the aircraft. A form of ID is required to confirm the booking matches the person travelling. As I stated before these 4 forms are enforced by Ryanair to simplify and speed up the check-in process in a general sense. The legal requirement for a UK domestic flight does not require only these 4 forms of ID.

There is a distinction between LEGAL requirements here and CARRIER requirements

For example carrier's such as bmibaby accept all forms of ID.

I standby Ryanair's decision to enforce the 4 forms of ID in the general sense so that the system is efficient. However in this case bending the carrier's rules within the law is acceptable in my eyes.

I personally think every situation has to be taken on its own merits.

I always try to put myself in the shoes of the passenger.

If that was my grandmother standing there. Missing the wedding, what do I do to get there now? son never told me I needed a passport. How do I afford the 180 pounds one way ticket tommorow from my pension?

If that was me standing there not bothered to check the terms and conditions and turned up without the correct ID what would I expect and accept. I would know it was my own stupid fault for being too lazy to bother reading the website while booking. I would expect to be refused travel.

Ryanair Website T&C: Expired forms of photo-ID will not be accepted for any flight. Failure to present valid photo-ID matching the names on your reservation will result in your being refused check-in without refund.

Last edited by jonathang; 23rd Jun 2004 at 06:30.