PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair stop 89 year old travelling to Wedding
Old 22nd Jun 2004, 18:59
jonathang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And we then all saw the edifying scene of this young, fit, twenty-something gate agent giving a bollocking to an old lady with arthritic hands because she had not presented the passport to him fully opened.
That is really quite sickening. Hope he got shot down for that. Definitely not a representation of the majority of gate staff.

In Stansted Life there is a story about an 89 year old who was denied boarding from a RYR flight because she didn't have a passport or photo-licence. She turned up at check-in with a birth certificate and photo bus pass. The reason for the trip was to go to her great-niece's wedding.
Horrible story, while I agree with Ryanair on this one based on their terms and conditions. If she was travelling within the UK I personally would have bent the rules and allowed her to travel on a bus pass etc.

Spirit of the rules should be taken into account with all decisions.

Also it’s not Ryanair that made the decision to refuse her, ground handling agent did.

Question is where was she travelling too?

Airlines are subject to fines up to 3000 pounds for passengers who arrive in foreign counties without a passport or national identity card which ever is required.

Maybe FR only allow a limited number of ID types because it'd become too confusing otherwise for the check-in agent.
That is exactly what I was told. On a budget airline with 189 passengers traveling, Check-in opens -2 hours and closes at -40 minutes. That’s 1 hour 20 minutes to check-in 189 passengers between 2 or 3 people. Every minute saved counts. That's just under 1 minute a passenger.

How is that FR wont accept an official aircrew ID (with all the security checks, history etc,etc,etc) as phot ID when positioning with them, yet they will accept a scruffy peice of student union ID paper as valid ID. When I was a student,
They don't except any Student ID if you are talking about Student Matric Cards. Ryanair only accept the ISAC (International Student Association Card). Only FR crew ID’s are accepted for travel. How do you know an airport ID is still valid, employee could have just kept it? A passport is only valid when in date.

Remember,We are talking about the same airline that refused passage to a Soldier when he showed his military I.D. card because it was not on their "Approved" list!
Yep, I have refused an Army Officer travel on a F1250 Military ID. I am sorry but if you are in that position you should be able to read A the terms and conditions and B the the ID information which is stated clearly when booking.

Assumption is the mother......

Oh and I have a F1250.

Jonathan

Last edited by jonathang; 22nd Jun 2004 at 19:19.