PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attention all BA wannabes!
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2004, 21:45
PaulW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it is now available after six months with the company. An id 80 ticket is now merely a way of paying twice what an id 90 standby ticket costs for a slightly higher priority. You can only buy an id80 ticket 21 days before you fly and then you have to wait to see if they firm up your ticket. Which they only do if the flight isnt busy; they do not wish to run the risk of offloading you and then having to pay for your accomodation. This defeats the original object of the ticket. Destinations such as Australia, staff travel during busy periods will not even take your money if you want an id80. That is if it isnt already imbargoed for all staff. It merely gives you a slightly higher priority. Staff travel is still useful to singletons but of no real value to families. id 80s are by no means firm seats anymore.
That said I have enjoyed using my staff travel over many years, i have never booked anything other than id90s because I think id80s are not value for money. Staff travel has its perks if you know a despatcher or flight or cabin crew, club or first upgrades are common. There is still a family feeling just between staff. People like to upgrade as every so often when you fly the favour will be returned.
Oh and after 7 years you are entitled to one free ticket per family member on your list. After 10 years you can pay 90% to firm up your ticket. After 20 years you get a free firm.
Comment from a BA engineer.