PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Peruvian fighter downs missionaries
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2001, 16:11
Rastaman

Arrow

Firstly, I was sorry to hear of the downing of a missionary flight with the loss of a mother and child. I would like to think that those who are ultimately responsible for the death of these innocents would be held accountable. Unfortunately I very much doubt that we will ever see true justice done.

Secondly. I agree hole heartidly with BLCL that we have to start in the homes and schools with EDUCATION about the drugs issue. That should include alcohol, cigarettes and caffeine. Treat a drug as a drug, legal or otherwise. Take the mystique away from these substances; remove some of the reason for doing them. Most Kids know the basic difference between good and bad, for example: I knew not to drink bleach as a child because it would kill me. Educate your children. At least then an informed decision can be made by whomever is being offered substances. I would hope my child would say No at that point, but if my kid wanted to take drugs then there is sod all I could do to stop it happening. It’s not hard to find drugs and I would rather know that my children have all the information available to them and they know that they can always run home when it all goes wrong rather than sweating it out in an alley on their own.

We have been fighting a so-called “War on Drugs” for as long as I can remember. I don’t know about the States but it would seem to me that drug use is going up in the UK. Coke, ecstasy and ganja all being used by a significant percentage of people from my generation and from those below on a regular basis. Our “War on Drugs” would therefore seem not to be working as the percentage I talk of is increasing. Our policies do not work at home and they are not working abroad. Use the money we pour into this war for other things, like health and education.

There was no reason for the Mother and her baby to die. Let's hope that something good might arise from thier death. RIP

------------------
Irie

[This message has been edited by Rastaman (edited 24 April 2001).]