PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail strike at Faro
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2004, 16:15
spy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Sorry Chaps

Take a look at FCOM 1 under Auto Flight/Auto Thrust.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Below 100 feet radio altitude

When the radio altitude is below 100 feet and the pilot sets both thrust levers above CL detent or one above the MCT detent, the auto thrust will disconnect."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below 100 feet you will either end up going around if you use the above technique or reverting to manual thrust. Below 100 feet be prepared to use TOGA 10 instead of a standard go-around to avoid a tail strike if it all goes wrong.

This technique has only been mentioned until now in the Airbus instructor manuals. I was fortunate enough to be given a copy some years ago and have passed the information on to those I have flown with. At last Blue Bulletin 54 has put this technique and the advice on auto thrust in print for all to read.

Incidentally you would not have found TOGA 10 in our manuals until a few of years ago!

The A321 is clearly prone to tail strikes if circumstances conspire against the crew. I believe becoming familiar with TOGA 10 and the above technique greatly reduces the risk. I also believe becoming familiar with flying the aircraft with manual thrust will greatly improve the situation. This is a controversial point of view in some circles but if both crew clearly brief what is intended and prevailing conditions are taken in to account then approaches with auto thrust out are easier in the Airbus than almost any other large aircraft I have flown. Of course in areas where a high cockpit workload is expected, full use of the automatics should be made but be prepared like all good boy scouts!