PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA28 v DR400
Thread: PA28 v DR400
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2004, 18:30
Aerobatic Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some in the group seem to prefer a PA28, but others (including myself) would prefer a DR400. Eother way, it must be a 180hp basic type.
I haven't checked the POHs, so this is purely subjective, but I find that a 160hp DR400 performs better than a 180hp PA28.

Plus points for the DR400 are handling, visibility (especially compared to an Archer 3 - the windscreen is like a letterbox slot), speed, rate of climb, and load carrying ability. Other benefits are easy access through the sliding canopy, sticks rather than yokes, useful cubby holes for storing maps, easy-to-repair wooden construction, and easy maintenance at just about any French airfield if you go touring.

On the downside, people complain about spare parts availability, the nosewheel is prone to shimmy and sometimes has problems whereby the steering doesn't re-engage properly on landing (in flight the nosewheel disengages from the steering mechanism, and does not turn when you apply rudder), the cabin is a bit cramped for 4, they don't all have external baggage doors, hangarage is almost essential, the wings sometimes fall off (it's only happened a couple of times, but there are various ADs on wing spar inspections), the seats get wet if you get in while it's raining, and competent maintenance in the UK is probably easier to find for the Piper.

On balance, I'd go for the DR400 every time. An alternative which is much cheaper would be a 180hp DR300, which has a slightly more dated interior but nicer handling.

A point worth knowing is that you can re-engine DR400s (in France at least - I guess the same applies in the UK), so you can buy a cheap tired 120hp ex flying school trainer, tidy up the inside, re-cover it, and put in a new 160 or 180hp engine, and save yourself a fair sum.