PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brazil
Thread: Brazil
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2004, 06:47
Panama Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bokomoko,

I am sorry you took my remark out of context, and in retrospect I should have elaborated.

In doing so, keep in mind that this is historically one of the firecracker topics on this forum. The fact of the matter is that throughout Latin America, permanent residency allows a person to live in work in the country issuing the document, however, the exception is that the person may not participate in the aviation industry. This is contrary to the practices of other countries, like the USA, Canada, Europe, where there is no restriction on profession once permanent residency has been granted. As we know, there are many Latin American pilots working in aviation in those countries while only having the permanent residency status . . . in my opinion "good for them." While in these days we tend to regard the above mentioned countries as countries of immigration, the truth of the matter is that most of Latin America have historically been countries that have received immigrants too (although much interest has been lost in recent decades due to political and economic problems).

While I understand the economic realities and why many Latin American pilots may feel that this is just in light of the economic difficulties in a country and the limited opportunities, these policies prevent foreigners who are permanent residents of a country, married to a native of the country and have children with citizenship in that country to work in the profession that they are best qualified for. I have known of one pilot, in Guatemala, who challenged Aeronautica Civil's law by citing the Guatemalan Constitution, which says that the parents of Guatemalan children cannot be denied the opportunity to work in a profession that gives them the best chance of providing for their children. I am sure that most reasonable people will accept this arguement-- in any case, I am completely against the concept of giving work visas to people who otherwise have no family ties to a country to do work where there are sufficiently qualified natives available.

In fact, Bokomoko, if your son has an EU passport and is a pilot I would think that he would have no problem in getting a job not only in Portugal but the rest of Europe (assuming he meets the job's time and licence requirements and checks-out in the interview). I have come to admire the EU model. Send him to get his JAA license.

Nobody is shouting here, although some of us to voice our frustrations from time to time (I think that is fair).