PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail strike at Faro
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2004, 10:05
Man Flex 32.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brenoch

Like your machine you can disconnect the thrust on the airbus and control it manually.

A bit about the airbus

Firstly the autothrust is computed by the FMGC which is based on a speed called VLS (Lowest achievable speed with the autothrust engaged) and this also takes into account the wind. On an average day you get VLS + 5 kts called Vapp. This VLS is computed by the FMGC based upon what ZFW + FOB we pilots enter.

There are also 2 other computers called FAC (flight Augmentation Computers), these are responsible for many things but also independently compute VLS. This computation is based on Angle of Attack Sensors and the ability to compute the aircraft weight.

So as you can see VLS is calculated by 2 different algorithms and the latter is probably prone to less errors (i.e ZFW is calculated with standard pax weights).

The problem arises on approach if you check PFD (speed scale) you can sometimes see only 2 or 3 kts between VLS & Vapp. If you look on the Perf App page on the MCDU the difference between VLS & Vapp is still 5 Kts. The autothrust doesnt add thrust because as far as its concerned the thrust is ok.

You will be pleased to know that airbus have now tried to use the same algorithm for both calcs (A319).

I have flown the A319/A320/A321/A340 and i have seen on many occasions (more so on A321) as you pass through 50 ft or so and accompanied with changing wind speed or direction and a different VLS from FMGC you can easily get a high sink rate when very close to ground.

At this stage there is very little you can do, you can overflare in an attempt to reduce this which i think is a bad idea because you can scrape the tail v easily.

Grin and accept it

If you disconnect the autotrust you get full climb power because the levers are in the climb detent

Airbus has procedure whereby you quickly advance the thrust levers passed the climb detent to spool the engines up and then back to climb. You have to be very careful with this procedure because if you do this below 100 feet when you select climb thrust you get full climb power because the autothrust disconnects.

Go around - but you have low energy and are close to ground.

or as man flex says add a few kts (which is what i do)

BTW we are not related.

So as you can see this really isnt black or white.

MF