PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail strike at Faro
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2004, 07:22
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats interesting is that according to the very knowledgable..."spy"... these tail strikes have occured when and been blamed on the Auto-Thrust being disconnected.
If you are referring the BA's "Banning of Man Thr", then yes, their "logic" might lead to this conclusion... Of course, that was applying BA's proportion of Man Thr usage (quoted as 10%) and applying it to other operators' incidents to the A321 (when BA don't [yet] have the 321).

If other operators, for reasons various, tended to use Man Thr, then this part of the BA argument is obviously flawed.

My intention has never been to turn this into an Airbus v Boeing debate
Well, the first aircraft in BA banned from Man Thr was the 777....

. . .and if sink rate builds up just knock the levers slightly forward of the climb gate to get more power for a second or so and then retard
This is being quoted by people various as a "technique" (including Trainers). I have never done it, never been taught it, never seen it in a manual. Doesn't mean I won't do it, but in short, if you do need it, I trust you MOR the ATHR as u/s as well. As has also been alluded, applying "common sense" or "I heard about this" solutions to flying the 'Bus (or in fact any aircraft) can lead you into all sorts of holes!

NoD