PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail strike at Faro
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2004, 00:13
Brenoch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will teach to look at what's going on as well as listen to the callout as IMHO some trainers put too much emphasis on automatics in the bus
I'm sure you have all the best of intent but you cant teach a person with 150 hrs on light aircraft to fly an aircraft of the proportions of the A321 relying on automatics and when push comes to shove you expect him to make a perfect intervention..
It's just not possible, I'm sure people in Toulouse will tell you otherwise but if an aeroplane relies on automatics to the extent that the bus does either you throw out the pilot or you put a properly qualified airman in the hut..

The autothrust computers are not always aggressive enough and allow the speed to decay. This results in high sink rates close to the ground sometimes causing a bounce and its usually on the second touchdown that can cause a strike
I've never flown the bus myself but i would assume there would be a mode where the PILOT can command what the engines are doing.. If the autothrottle isn't doing what you want, atleast in my kit you can disconnect it and fly it by using old fashioned piloting skills...

Where we go from here is not up to me to decide but I used to be a very proud airman, I take great joy and pride in being a skilled professional..
There is a firm in southern france that is certainly working towards a pilotless aircraft, it would be the joy of the industry if it would come true. Imagine the savings an airline could make by not having pilots employed.. By doing so I'm quite sure incidents as the quote above describes (where the automatics is slow) would be far more common.
My intention has never been to turn this into an Airbus v Boeing debate, I just would like to make a point of not letting the industry make us all redundant. I firmly believe there should be two pilots up front making the decisions rather than a computer calling the shots for you..

Crash-helmet on... Preparing to be flamed, mortared, shelled to oblivion...