PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How desirable is the 'job' (jet airline pilot) these days?
Old 13th Jun 2004, 08:16
N380UA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I first was confronted and immediately fascinated with aviation in the 70s. The sound and smell of the low-bypass turbines of those old and glorious aircraft were the symbol of the “Big wide world” Big strong tough pilots and cute petite flight attendants travelling the world, driving big cars and living in large houses. AWSOME!!
So in the early nineties I went for the gold, paid a lot of money and just as I though I got it, some bearded fuddermucker with some bed sheets on his head hade to screw it all up for me. At first I thought my life is over… but it wasn’t. I still work in aviation but now second guess if I’d still be happy flying under these conditions. Major or low-cost doesn’t really matter as a new stiff on the block as I gather. They’ll (management) will ream you either way. You’ll be hustled by high school dropouts TSA agents and you never know which side is currently trying to blow you out of the sky.
Having said that, I don’t regret for one second having done what I did. If were to be in the pointy end at fl360 id probably be FDH (fat, dumb and happy), but I’m not sure, knowing what I know today if id did it all over again. It just doest seem as glorious as it was thirty years ago. I don’t mean to say that I don’t like flying any more, I still fly privately, but for a living….?