PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Qf Shortlist Has Been Activated!
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2004, 04:40
GalleyHag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with Mr Seatback it is unacceptable that MAM casuals are offered permanent positions over internal staff. However on this occassion it is all about timing and filling flying hours quickly.

Short haul offered MAM casuals out of Sydney (not sure of other bases) 9 month fixed term contracts, not many if any were taken up, therefore leaving many flying hours to fill. Regional progression has been activated and by all accounts MAM casuals (not sure of the numbers) will be offered permanent positions in order to fill the void. No initial training is required therefore enabling QF to crew the flights. Remember casuals are under no obligation to accept work leaving QF not really knowing if they would be able to meet their crewing requirements.

I thought regional progression without permanent external recruitment was a bit to good to be true.

MAM have always told their staff that permanent positions would not be available, however the FAAA fight hard on their behalf for permanent positions over external (and obviously internal) applicants. They will always say this to cover themselves, otherwise crew would always be asking when they will be made permanent when in fact they have NO grounds to expect this, they are employed by a contract crewing company not QF.

Midnight-63 your friend is referring to the offer to be interviewed for any permanent positions that may arise not be directly offered permanent employment. MAM crew that joined some 2 years ago were given this undertaking.

Also, as Ozcabincrew notes MAM casuals HAVE to be interviewed for any permanent positions with QF they do not automatically walk into them. So if any potential MAM casuals are reading this my advice is be good girls and boys because QF will be looking into your record when applying for permanent positions in the future.

In this instance it all comes down to timing, QF need the crew and need them now, therefore by converting MAM casuals it solves the problem, whereas it would take far to long for external applicants to be trained and on-line.