PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - acupuncture for the eyes?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2004, 01:11
takenthe5thamendment

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have faith in this sort of treatment - it's conventional stuff all the way for me.............however, I did some research and couldn't find any treatment for your disorder.

BUT

I did find some info on acupuncture for eye diseases...

The main objective of the treatment is to disperse extravasculated blood which pooled within the eye depth as a result of various aetiologies.

This disorder is situated in the most delicate anatomical region and it calls for a very skillful needle technique.

B-1 Jingming and St-1 Chengqi are inserted slowly and smoothly perpendicularly to a depth of 1.5 Cun, while the other hand is pushing gently the eyeball leftward or upward respectively.
The needle is pushed inside until the patient experiences Deqi.

The most common sensations here are tingling, numbness and pressure which surrounds the eye. Also Qiuhou is punctured in the same manner apart from being directed medially rather than perpendicularly.

It usually gives the sensation of slight electrical shock or a pressure behind the eyeball.
After the Qi has been obtained, the needle should be flicked rapidly but gently with the finger nail, so as to strengthen the Qi sensation and enhance the dispersal effect.

Other types of manipulations are prohibited. Now and then, in some patients, a hematoma may develop as a result of micro bleeding due to needle injury.
A black-eye is thus not a very rare outcome of the procedure.
In case this happens the patient should be calmed and ensured that beside the temporary esthetic inconvenience there is nothing to be afraid of.

The needles surrounding the eye may remain in situ at least 20 minutes.

As I see it, pun unintentional, ones eyesight is too precious to have it messed about with than anyone other than a consultant surgeon who deals in Opthalmology.