PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Arrogance Of Britannia 034A
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2004, 20:36
caniplaywithmadness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinkrate

Forgive me for butting in and I stand to be corrected as I am no pro but I thought that certain speed restrictions are not for ATC to be lifted (such as the 250 KIAS below 10K etc.) so "no speed" does not automatically lift certain restrictions ?
ATC CAN AND DO lift the 250 below fl100 spped limit on many occasions as it is often more beneficial for us to have a/c at higher speeds when dealing with a sequence of mixed performance a/c such as the 757, E145, SF34, etc etc

There are restrictions to this such as a/c transiting through class E airspace or traffic outside CAS however the norm (at least where I work) is to let a/c fly at the speed they want to unless we need a slower speed to avoid an extended routeing.

I would also like to add that in my experiece as a controller that ALL the crews that I have had dealings with both on the RT and during the many visits to flight decks have been nothing but professional and not at all pompous or arrogant, yes there are the occaisonal sighs or tones of "GOD BACK AT 220 THIS FAR OUT" but we all have days where we get frustrated at the little things, a little light hearted banter on the RT goes a long way to relieving the stresses of a long day.

I would think that there isn't a pilot or ATCO out there that hasn't made some light hearted comment on the RT, on this occasion perhaps the humour was lost on the controller due to language difficulties and therefore seemed inappropraite to the other crew on the frequency. I for one have aksed a/c to "pedal faster" and the crews have responded in an appropriately humorous fashion with no offence taken, but perhaps that's just the boys and girls at Loganair who have a sense of humour

Last edited by caniplaywithmadness; 11th Jun 2004 at 20:48.