PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How desirable is the 'job' (jet airline pilot) these days?
Old 11th Jun 2004, 16:37
fernytickles

Life's too short for ironing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting poll. The mixture of opinions will be infinite.

I worked in the airlines for 7 years and generally enjoyed it, but wasn't sure I wanted to do this for the rest of my life. I knew I did not want to get caught up in the roller coaster, bored with the monotony and too drawn into salary/mortgage/expensive toys to pay for, etc, etc.

The opportunity came in spring 2001 and I moved west of Mull, am not allowed to earn a salary just now, but have a fantastic time volunteering for an aviation organisation, flying all sorts of varied trips for them on vintage and relatively modern aircraft. Sometimes I cannot believe how lucky I am. When the work permit does appear I will do my best to stick with this type of aviation rather than return to the airlines, assuming I have any choice in the matter

I have a friend who has done it the opposite way, bush flying all over Canada and now working for the airlines. She's already looking to move away from them in the next few years.

There is so much more to aviation than working for the airlines, great tho' that can be. I watched the post 9/11 fiasco from afar, sad to see what was happening and relieved not to be caught up in it.