PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Qf Shortlist Has Been Activated!
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2004, 16:10
Floaty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a little comparison

Hi guys! My 2 cents here: I'm F/A here in the UK and I've been living in both Australia and the UK so I'm somehow a tad aware of the job market in both countries (I believe).

A couple of points first:
I was discussing with someone at QF the other night about the treatment the crew receive here in the UK compared to Australia. Of course I am not in a position to speak about every airline and every contract but there is a clear fact: our unions here in the UK aren't worth much! I really wonder what sort of package QANTAS is gona work out for their crew based in London next year.

For your info, generalizing a little, new entry CC pay in London is appauling and treatment is far below expectations. For example, a receptionist in a hairdresser salon makes 20% more money than a junior cabin crew on a permanent contract with 2 years experience. So does the guy selling tickets in the tube station!
Since I've been CC here, I've had problems paying bills and cannot even get a credit card or a cheque book! Forget about saving for the future!
Some crew have even turned down promotions because the money is so bad it's not worth the responsibility!!
Cabin Managers/Flight Supervisors don't make much more either and complain that after 15 years service in the airline industry they still cannot afford a mortgage!
As if this wasn't enough, the airlines have the right not to give you sick pay if they consider you're sick too often (which means more than 3 times in 6 months).

Finally, when you receive a contract it is most of the time a temporary one, subject to probation period (fair enough) and airline's needs...(??) This means that you receive a very quick training, wear that only one uniform (1 jacket / 1 skirt) you'll never be able to dryclean, then get thrown on line after your supernumerary flight with no support at all and there you work your bum off throughout summer, hoping desperately to have pleased enough seniors and made a good impression to secure yourself a permanent contract... until October, when the airline says "oh sorry! we don't need you anymore! But if you get a short-term job at Marks&Spencer, we might re-hire you in spring"... of course for another temporary contract...
(this is a typical situation with charter companies, be aware!).

There are only a small bunch of airlines -but of big envergure- having the decency to offer permanent employment from day one. These are British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and few others.

Recently I've been interviewed for a job with a small charter airline London-Gatwick based. They only fly 737/757, give no airline benefits and have no night-stops. I was required to sign a £600 bond (about 1600 AUD) for the cost of the training, in case I wouldn't honour my temporary contract of 6 months!!!! Is this the future of cabin crew?????

Now, I do understand the situation with QF in Oz is not exactly what it should be and trust me I understand your frustration, I've been there many times! An airline should have some sort of committment towards its employees, but I also believe QANTAS has done pretty well so far. At times, the market is not as per expectations and a big company such as QANTAS may have to take decisions which may not make everyone happy (such as recruiting externally at a lower pay, with more flexible contracts and no extra admin costs). I don't know QANTAS' situation but I would imagine the company is adapting to the market situation... old times are over, aviation has changed, competitors are stronger... did you know Virgin Atlantic has plans to fly London-Sydney from end of next year? Maybe this is one of the reasons why QANTAS is adopting this attitude... (not that I like it!)
I'm not a genius in market research so forgive me if I got all this wrong...

Btw Seatback2, I tend to disagree with your statement:
"As much as you should blend good fiscal management of your company, you should also consider how you treat your employees - because how you treat THEM is inevitably how they treat YOUR CUSTOMERS!".
=>
I never treated customers poorly due to the treatment I was given by management. This is not fair and the attitude is wrong. When you're up there, you do your best because this is the person you are and nothing should demotivate you! I know it's hard but your standards should never be less than your expectations if you were yourself a passenger. Don't let anyone and anything damage the quality of your work. When you stop believing you can reach perfection, then you definitely won't!
Besides, I know you personally, therefore I know what you are capable of!

FJ