PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Qf Shortlist Has Been Activated!
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2004, 14:37
Mr Seatback 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go Dj

It may be that I've stayed up past my bedtime, but I don't get your point.

On one hand you indicate that the situation the shortlisters find themselves in is a result of SARS, Iraq, etc. And GalleyHag indicated (quite rightly), that Dixon has had contract work, etc. on the radar for quite some time.

All true. Don't disagree with that, as it's all fact.

However...

Finally in the past 3 weeks I have flown 2 sectors up to Asia with QF, and from my observation too many QF F/As have reached their use-by date, the service compared to Singapore, Emirates and Cathay Pacific was dire, IMHO QF needs young, fresh and enthusiastic cabin crew the likes who fly for Impulse and DJ whom in my opinion are fantastic.
As much as I agree with you to some extent with what you say there, is the way to treat people (the ones replacing those that are old have 'reached their use by date' to say "well, don't get too comfortable, because in 11 months you're getting the boot?" - doesn't that just provide a temporary solution to the problem?

It certainly won't shift those who you deem to be past their 'use by date' - if anything, now is when they'll be digging their heels in even more to stay!

As much as you should blend good fiscal management of your company, you should also consider how you treat your employees - because how you treat THEM is inevitably how they treat YOUR CUSTOMERS!

Hardly what you call motivating, and some may well argue (quite rightly) that this takes the contractors' eye off providing a good service - after all, what's to lose, eh? If I'm going to get the boot, why the hell bother?? Looking over your shoulder and counting the time for 11 months (which, I might add will clock up VERY quickly with long haul flying) isn't what you'll find in the average Employee Motivation aisle of your local bookstore.

In the past, the contractors would be 'on edge', because there was always the 'dangling carrot' of permanent work at the end of the contract. Not anymore it would seem, so I'm curious to know how things work out.

Fingers crossed, by then, positives start to emerge for those other than the accountants and shareholders (like, the people who serve the customers who FLY on the airline).

GalleyHag

Agree with you totally re: Cabin Crew agreements, divisional transfers, etc. 100%.

However...

The internal staff have a similar agreement (obviously, lower on the food chain of Divisional and CP Agreements) where they can only be offered permanent work if applying internally.

Is it fair on one hand, to keep your own staff dangling for so long, only to turn around and say "thanks but there's no work for you", but there's plenty of work for Adecco crew and external staff (for 11 months), before we ship THEIR jobs to the UK? I think I know your answer on this one!

Where's the value? Where's the sense of promotion (WITHIN YOUR OWN COMPANY) to be the 'ambassador' of your airline? Or (quite cynical of me I know) is it a case of 'whoever is the lowest bidder'?

Sad state of affairs when you have to start looking at the competition to get into flying these days.

Now Look...

I understand, probably more than most, how quickly and violent change can occur in this industry. Hell, I'm on my 3rd airline (and 5th uniform).

However, if there's one thing I believe any company should do is look after their employees!

Now, in this instance, permanent jobs are not always going to be available. However, I do think the way this whole system has been handled has been appaling!

Out of all the airline crew I know around the world, I don't think I've seen or heard of a recruitment being conducted so badly. And I've heard of some shockers. Yes, it is said, and it's not unheard of in the airline world. Usually, however, staff WITHIN the airline are treated better than this.

Putting aside Iraq and SARS, I believe the drive for profitability within QF has driven it away from service (internal and external) and more into worrying about shareholders, at the expense of it's staff.

Correct me people, but I don't recall problems of this nature occurring while Jimmie Bowtie was at the helm. And QF was profitable then as I remember.