PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Qf Shortlist Has Been Activated!
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2004, 11:01
Mr Seatback 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q-Tee

Understand your position on this. But SocialFlyer is correct. The nature of the employment now being offered (contract with no option to renew) was never provided at any stage in the recruitment process. On the contrary, full time was indicated many times during my interviews, and nothing different was stated in the follow up emails.

Further, expecting people to up and leave with 1 weeks notice is unreasonable - particularly if you already work for the airline in another division.

All fair and well if people knew these conditions PRIOR to applying (I, for one, wouldn't have bothered in the first place...) - but that wasn't the case.

Also understand that QF has to change with the times, etc. Being an airline, if it expects to survive, it needs to be adaptable.

I just fail to see the logic in not employing people as FA's from other areas within the company purely on the basis of cost. Surely these people are assets on board because of their knowledge of processes around the airline? I know I've not only used my own knowledge of airport and reservation/ticketing knowledge in this manner, but have seen this occur onboard with others from similar backgrounds. Very useful in situations such as delays, stuff ups, etc.

The role of FA has always been considered, in some areas of the airline, as that of an ambassador (given it's high regard and tough selection process within QF) - which is why so many internals apply to escalate their careers and REPRESENT THE AIRLINE THEY WERE/ARE PROUD TO SERVE. To effectively be told "Externals are better to us - until their contracts run out, then the Brits come online" is dumb-founding! The mind is still boggling!!

It is HORRIBLE for the internals (of which I am not) to be told there isn't a job for them (despite their years of service, performance, etc - all which would have been taken into account during their application), but there's a job for someone else off the street (no offence to any contractors by the way)...

THEN for BOTH of these good people to be told "Well...effectively, you can't get a flying job now because we're employing Brits on lower wages." -

Whatever happened to "People are our priority?" You remember that line - particularly during the print ads for prior FA advertisements. Or did that line get superceded by "That's the spirit - provided you're in an overseas base".

In closing, I wish to make the following clear:
a) I am not bitter and twisted. Even though I am one of the affected (external applicant currently with the QF Group), I reached the point of not caring about my application long ago! It's the people for whom have yet to fly I feel sorry for...so close, yet so far...
b) I think the way these staff, and indeed external contractors, have been treated is abysmal and appalling.

Never forget - for those of you who have been affected by this mess - this whole situation says more about QF than it could ever say about you as individuals. You are all stars for having got so far in the process.

Furthermore, it's proof (in my eyes at least) that if you really want to fly, you all possess the determination (and drive) to reach that dream. If QF don't want you because you cost too much, then go to an airline that will value you.

GO-DJ

Sadly, past airline experience doesn't always mean much in Oz.

Like any airline interview - all depends on who interviews you on the day. Many many ex-fliers have been knocked back by Jet* and DJ over the years - from many different airlines.

Hopefully, those that wish to continue, will succeed in whatever direction they choose.

My thoughts and best wishes are with you all. Here's hoping something positive comes out of this for everyone affected by this debacle.