PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - voice of safety d'telegraph8/6/04 letters
Old 8th Jun 2004, 17:44
ILS 119.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to know what qualifications this person has to be an "Air Traffic Control Consultant"
Firstly, a/c over the atlantic can be controlled with no radar, it's called procedural control.
Secondly, a/c arriving and departing into a busy TMA cannot at the moment be controlled by a computer because of the many variable situations which may arise, such as emergiencies. I have complete faith in the system at the moment and would not like to fly into any busy airport with a computer doing all the controlling.
Unfortunately, Eurocontrol are wrong in their estimation of the current system. If I was there then I would tell them. All the people on the team to assess this are not, either qualified to do so, or have been out of the operational side of the business for too long, and cannot do the job now.
The pen and strip are the best, with radar. The first thing to break down will be the computer.
Lastly, if the system works well then why change it. There are more important things to look at for safety reasons. I'm all for high technology both in a/c and atc but without the human element then it would be dangerous.
Would you fly from a to b with no pilot or atco. I wouldn't, and it would be a very brave person to say they would.
ILS 119.5