PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C&I security FAQ
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2004, 09:30
Evo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C&I security FAQ

Folks, I'm going to put together a brief guide to a secure computer to go as a sticky at the top (will bump off Secure XP and Guide to Spyware etc., both of which are linked). First draft below - comments, hardware/software recommendations, additions, links to old but useful threads etc. welcome.

I want to keep it simple enough that a total novice can follow it without problems, so no tweaking services, registry stuff or anything like that.

Update your operating system

Many of the recent outbreaks of viruses, worms and trojans have exploited holes in Windows that are already known and have been fixed by Microsoft. Windows includes a tool, "Windows Update" to download an install these fixes as they become available. Instructions for using it are here.

Instructions for creating a CD to protect a fresh Windows XP installation can be found in the Secure Windows XP Install thread.

Keeping up to date also applies if you are running Linux or Mac OS - both provide similar tools to Windows Update.

Run a firewall

A firewall is a piece of software that monitors all incoming network traffic and allows in only the connections that are known and trusted. All operating systems have security flaws, some known, some yet to be discovered, and firewall software controls access to the network services you need open and closes off those you don't, so even if the operating system is flawed the vulnerabilities cannot be accessed from the Internet. They also makes your computer "invisible" on the Internet; if you can't be found, you can't be attacked.

For professional security, the rule is you never connect a computer directly to an untrusted network, irrespective of the operating system it is running. Dedicated firewall hardware sits between the computer and the internet. For home use a software firewall is adequate. Zone Alarm is simple to use, and is free for personal use.

Software firewalls are not perfect - the W32.Witty.Worm spread via a flaw in the BlackICE software firewall - but are far better than nothing. However, for home broadband connections, you might still consider a hardware firewall.

Spyware

Spyware is sofware that is put in someone's computer to secretly gather information about the user and relay it to advertisers or other interested parties. The information collected varies, and the software may degrade performance of your computer.

See the Guide for Eliminating Spyware, Adware, and Random Popups .

Run anti-virus software

Two golden rules here - run anti-virus software, and keep it up to date. Old software is worse than useless, it makes you think you're protected without offering useful protection.

{recommendations for specific products?}

Trend Micro offer a free online virus scan. McAfee also offer one. These should be your first check if you think you have a virus.