Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Computer/Internet Issues & Troubleshooting
Reload this Page >

Guide for Eliminating Spyware, Adware, and Random Popups

Wikiposts
Search
Computer/Internet Issues & Troubleshooting Anyone with questions about the terribly complex world of computers or the internet should try here. NOT FOR REPORTING ISSUES WITH PPRuNe FORUMS! Please use the subforum "PPRuNe Problems or Queries."

Search this Thread

Old 29th Jan 2004, 10:54
The Oracle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since so many people have been coming to this forum with Spyware and Malware Issues, I thought I would link a guide from Tweak3d.net on how to remove Spyware, etc.

How to Eliminate Spyware, Adware, and Random Popups

Before following the steps in this guide, be sure your PC is virus-free. If you don't have a virus scanner, check your PC online or download a scanner!

Take Care,

Richard
Old 8th Feb 2004, 17:41

Richard,

Thanks for that great advice! i have just installed the software and was pretty shocked to see all the crap that had been slowing my PC down!

Finally, i got rid of IE6 and installed Netscape, which has a ad blocking facility built into it... combined with Norton firewall I dont get any PPRUNE ad's or pop ad's anymore - whe hoo
Old 13th Feb 2004, 21:10

Pest Patrol do an excellentspyware product which is updateable plus it also has cookie patrol which will enable you to view sites that require cookies but it will terminate them so they dont effect your pc, recommended www.pestpatrol.com
Old 19th Feb 2004, 03:10

Hi everyone,

As this is now a sticky, I thought I'd recommend a few programs that are free, and work very well.

Adaware

Before you scan with AdAware, check for updates of the reference file by clicking Check for updates now, and following the prompts.

Now to set it up for optimum performance...

Make sure the following settings are configured. Remember that ON=GREEN.

From the main window click Start | Activate in-depth scan.

Then click Use custom scanning options | Customize and have these options switched ON...

Scan within archives
Scan active processes
Scan registryDeep scan registry
Scan my IE Favourites for banned URLs
Scan my host-files

Then click the Settings button.. (the gear icon on the top row) then Tweak | Scanning engine and check..

Unload recognised processes during scanning.
Cleaning engine.
Let windows remove files in use at next reboot.

and uncheck..

Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion.

Then click Proceed, to save your settings.

Now click the Scan button.

When scan is finished, check the little box to the left of each entry to select them for removal, and get rid of them.

Then reboot.

You only need to configure Adaware once, but you should check for the latest updates each time you use it.

Spybot S&D

To configure Spybot, click on Settings, and Settings again. Go to the Webupdate section, and check Display also available beta versions.

Now press Online, and search for, and put a check mark next to all updates, and install following the prompts.

Next, close all Internet Explorer windows, and click Check for Problems. Once the scan is complete, have SpyBot remove all it finds marked in RED.

Then reboot.

Again, check for updates each time you use the program.

Other useful programs to include in your Security Kit.

SpywareBlaster

SpywareGuard

IE-SpyAd

You should also make sure that you have both a Firewall, and an up-to-date Anti-Virus program installed. Here are a few links to some free Firewall programs...

Zone Alarm

Sygate

Kerio

..and Anti-Virus programs...

AVG

Avast

AntiVir, although, during the present problems with DOS (denial of service) attacks on many security sites (this one included), you can alternatively download from here.

Of course having the latest Windows Updates is vital. Go here, click Scan for updates in the main frame, and download and install all CRITICAL updates recommended, being careful to follow any recommendations for individual installation, where appropriate.

There are many other programs advertised on the web, but all those above come highly recommended by the security community.

If you have further problems, then please visit either theTechGuy Forum, or TechSupportForum, where I or one of the other chaps, will be happy to help further.

This isn't an advert for either, it's just that I fully understand your forum's policy on wanting to keep away from indepth technical help, such as we carry out on those boards.

I hope that this post has some useful advice for all of you...

Cheers

Liam
Old 19th Feb 2004, 09:46
The Oracle

Liam,

Nice addition.

Richard
Old 23rd Feb 2004, 17:58

A warning, I downloaded adware and spybot to try them out, there must be some conflict having both on the machine at the same time because it porked my browser, I had to format and reload my operating system.
Delete one altogether before trying out another.
What I want is something that will stop dammed search engines installing themselves as my home page, awaware does not seem to be able to do this.

PS is it possible to delete internet explorer altogether and reinstall from the windows disk?
Old 24th Feb 2004, 00:23

To further reduce the chance of malware, and to eliminate any problems with Internet Explorer being hijacked, you may want to look at Mozilla or Opera .

I have both Adaware and Spybot on my machine, and the only issue is that Adaware will pick up on files backed up by Spybot. Spybot also has a function built in to prevent IE's homepage being hijacked and to immunize your computer against many malware programs.

goates
Old 29th Feb 2004, 00:40

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Red face

computers, installed Spybot 1.2 yesterday and the Sygate firewall.
Spybot found 258(!) little programs which I deleted.
After installation of the firewall for a solid hour I got 2-3 warnings a minute about "requesting acces"
Think I got myself in a little too deep here.
For some reason MSN messenger does not run anymore.
I get an error message which says to check the internet connection...?
HELP
Old 1st Mar 2004, 06:05
The Oracle

Guys,

Lets try to keep this thread on topic. If you want to talk about options etc., lets use the thread:

How to Eliminate Spyware, Adware, and Random Popups

And this thread clean so people looking for help for their problems do not need to read though a bunch of posts that do not help them solve their problems.

Take Care,

Richard
Old 16th Mar 2004, 13:28

Spicy Meatball

The google toolbar is great for stopping popups.

Maz
Old 16th Mar 2004, 20:18
The Oracle

Maz,

The Google Toolbar will stop Popups but it also has the potential to mask Malware problems on the computer too. I try to solve the problem without a Popup Stopper so you know when your computer has Malware Problems.

Take Care,

Richard
Old 18th Mar 2004, 18:44
The Oracle

WeatherJinx,

I am sure all your fellow PPRuNers will be very happy to hear you tell them, when they are having a problem with their computer:

Go out and buy a MAC

Richard
Old 19th Mar 2004, 05:16
Bringer of Wx

That (so very clearly) wasn't my point..
Old 28th Mar 2004, 00:15

E-Liam

I would like to take you up on your advice but...

from Start I cannot find Activate in depth scan... any advice?
Old 28th Mar 2004, 09:19

Hi fly babe,

When you click the Start button, the next pane you see is entitled Preparing System Scan.

The last option in the list say Activate in-depth scan (recommended). Make sure that the little radio button is green (it also has a tick in it). If it's red (with a cross) then just click it, and it will turn green. I was going to post a screen shot, but haven't worked that one out yet.

Cheers

Liam
Old 2nd Apr 2004, 06:50

Spyware etc

Hi Naples Air Centre, with reference to the link you recommend, I have tried the download of spyware protection which detected infected files and then offers to sell me the product in order to remove them. Fair enough. However I am not sure whether or not this package will include the 'elimination of pop-up' package etc.

Can you help.......also does this remove the need for Norton or is the latter still required as well??

Hope you can help!
Old 2nd Apr 2004, 08:10
The Oracle

Helen49,

I am not sure which package you downloaded. In the Guide it mentions Ad-Aware, but I am not sure if that is the one you are talking about or not.

Personally I just use the free version of Ad-Aware and regularly run a the scan manually. But that does not contain any kind of Popup Blocker.

Take Care,

Richard
Old 2nd Apr 2004, 16:26

Hi Helen,

Which product did you download? The adverts at the top of the tweak3d site are generated by Google. Not one of them is particularly good, and a couple are adware in their own right. This doesn't detract from the general info provided, as the site doesn't choose those ads, they turn up automatically.

Keep Norton.. if it's working properly (there have been a few problems, but they can be fixed) it's just about the best protection on the market.

Have a read through the post of recommended free products that I placed in the same topic. Adaware, when set up as I stated, will find and fix most spyware, and used in conjunction with Spybot works very well (and free). If you have any particular problems feel free to start a new post, (just to stop this sticky getting too long..) and I'll be happy to help you out.

Cheers

Liam
Old 11th Apr 2004, 11:32

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Recently, a friend of one of my son's visited some sites, one of which which downloaded a worm while they were on our family computer. After installing Norton internet security and Ad Aware from www.lavasoft.de and also making sure the Windows XP firewall was optimised, I now get no pop-ups, attacks or unauthorised access. Ad aware also removed 87 unauthorised programs.

And my son is banned from going on the computer with his friends!
Old 11th Apr 2004, 16:42
The Oracle

Dan Winterland,

Boys will be boys. It might be worth teaching him what things to look for when surfing that cause the problems, like the Certificates to install (Gain - Gator, etc.) so he learns and will become a smarter computer user.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Having him read the Tweak3D Article would be a good start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.