PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel/crosswind advice please!
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2004, 23:50
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FFF :

To answer your question I have two reasons.

(1) They are learning something new, so I instill a new method of landing first, the biggest problem with making good wheel landings is judging when, how and why to make smooth accurate flares so as to touch down in the proper attitude without using up hundreds of feet feeling for the runway. The longer you take from the flare to touch down the more time the airplane has to change direction and height.

(2) Most pilots approach tailwheel airplanes with the beliefe that the three point is the preferred method of landing, this is not true as both methods have their own special benefits.

The wheel landing will generally give the best results in X/winds on paved runways, as well as the added safety if a go around is easier if started with speed and control responses to safely go around as in do another circuit .... rather than go around as in a ground loop.

May I suggest that the need to move the stick / control wheel foward becomes less signifigant when you touch down in the proper attitude as you complete the flare from the approach attitude to the landing attitude, properly executed and with slight nose down trim in the latter stages of the approach only requires you to relax back pressure slightly at touch down to transfer the weight to the wheels smoothly rather than over rotating the nose down by "pushing " the stick / wheel.

Remember these are only my personal thoughts and methods used to teach tailwheel flying, also I am not all that good at typing and trying to transfer my thoughts on a computer, I am far more comfortable and I hope understandable when interacting one on one in person.

Please do not take my comments to infer that my way is any better than anyone elses, it is just that after 52 years of flying tailwheel airplanes I find this works best for me.

Chuck