PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Arrogance Of Britannia 034A
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2004, 23:17
PPRuNeUser0215

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expeditedecent says
Britannia Airways (Otherwise known as "Can we Airways" because of their incessant requests for direct/higher/lower etc etc) were the airline I disliked most while controlling.
I am not sure what experience you have in flying through Foreign controlled airspaces but what I have notice as an ex regularly French airspace user is as follow.... Ask for a direct and in 80%of the cases they will give it to you. Don't ask and in 100% of the cases and you won't get it. Today, I fly for Britannia and I still use it. Sometimes It works, sometimes it doesn't but I never thought it as a rude request. As a matter of fact I have asked my partner (Maastricht Area Controller) and she doesn't seem to think it is a problem as long as it is requested in a nice manner and available.

As for those who believe that Britannia is a pompous airline all I can say is join them, meet the guy/gals and make your mind up. 2 seconds RT seem very short to make up a fair idea of anyone's personality. Plus, I would like to add that as a non British born pilot I have always felt comfortable and happy flying with this now long time serving Britannia "Nigels". As much as I would like to have their command of the English language, I doubt I would be able to raise the challenge... Which perhaps will suit those who are complaining about an apparent sounding arrogance request. Of course I doubt it will statisfy the ones who feel threatened by foreigners. Ho well, you can't win!

Back to Expeditedecent's comment.... you say, you remember once a Britannia blah blah.... Big deal! Surely with your vast experience you must also remember at least in one occasion when a BA,AF,LF,SR,AA,..... was rude to you. Why don't you tell us about it so we can too get a "fair" idea of what these guys are like.

T*ssers everywhere, that s for sure and Britannia is no the only factory making unit.