PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greek airports
Thread: Greek airports
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2004, 11:24
block52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greek Airports

I have been flying for 26 years in Greek airports, lately as a Flight Operations Inspector of Hellenic CAA. I am always on alert when I operate in and out of them , especially to-from the islands. I agree that are difficult places to be, and often dangerous weatherwise, requiring sometimes excellent airmanhip from the crews ! However, from my new post I see that a great effort, by HCAA, has been going on to minimise the existing problems. As far as the Cat 2 is concerned, the truth which is not known to many people, is that it was the result of political pressures against the Greek government by FAA concerning SAFETY of airports. But this SAFETY concern is translated in millions of $ in contracts with US and British companies for the "SAFETY" of Olympic Games 2004. We know very well that after deciding to organize the Games ( I belong to those who were against that considering the fact that Olympic Games cannot be started without the celebration in Ancient Olympia anyway ) we would have to pay the price. We cannot be fooled !!!!!!!!!!!!!!