PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA validations
Thread: CAA validations
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2004, 23:38
gonso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply redsnail.
My validation is based on a ICAO ATPL and was not originally issued recently but 6 years ago.
See I was unfortunate enough to move to England right at the begining of the JAR FCL transition and although they were happy to issue me with an old style UK CAA validation (which they still honor every year thank god), they were not issuing UK CAA ATPLs any more.
They offered me the option of applying for the JAR ATPL , but since I did not have 1500hrs pic in 30K+ they changed their mind and gave me 2 options really 1) do the full 14 subject ATPL exams 2) wait until my country issues JAR licences ( as you suggested) and follow the "mutual recognition" path.
Although my country achieved JAR-FCL status , by the time the actually issue them my command opportunity could be lost.
Sitting through the ATPL exams all over again for third time (I have additionally FAA atpl) is out of the question as a matter of principal, time , and money (if that is what you are suggesting).

I dont find anything wrong with our colleagues trying to get a JAR licence over here without planning to work here, neither with the CAA trying to raise extra revenue from them . The point I was trying to make is that the CAA tries to make the extra dosh without having the capacity to deal with the local pilots AND the pilots who work on other countries. (anyone who has tried to ring CAA licencing the last 5 years knows exactly what I am talking about , 25min waiting is the best I have achieved)