PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Hansard, 18th May...
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2004, 23:17
Mike Cross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somewhat jaundiced view being aired here.

The list was cursory because I wasn't about to spend a lot of time doing research. It took very little effort to find a few politicians who thought an interest in aviation was worth putting in their biography.

Anne McIntosh, MP for the Vale of York asked a number of Parliamentary Questions at the request of one of her constituents, a PPL who posts on here. These resulted in the Chairmen of NATS and the CAA having to write letters as well as the Secretary of State for Transport. The pressure that was brought to bear was very instrumental in getting the problems with the NOTAM website sorted. I wrote to her as I was involved with the issue and she took care to ensure that all of the correspondence generated was copied to me.

As her husband is a Director of Delta Airlines I think you can take it that she is pro-aviation.

I fully accept that the NIMBY's have the bigger voice, but that's what a democracy is about and I for one am glad I live in one.

It is curious isn't it how there is a seemingly insatiable appetite for air travel and the export of jobs subsidised by tax-free fuel for holidays yet very few of these same people want airports? We poor bimblers burning our highly taxed fuel must form a very small proportion of the total number of people airborne in UK airspace at any time. I believe the forecast was for some 220,000 to pass through Gatwick today.

Mike