PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Square Circuit
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2004, 19:23
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny but I have rarely come across a square circuit - plenty of oblong or rectangular shaped ones but not square!

Having worked for the military on contract (but not, I hasten to add, ex military myself) I have flown many racetrack circuits and I like the concept.

But, in the civvy world, lets imagine for a moment that we are going to standardise on racetrack circuits. How are we going to arrange for all pilots to be trained in racetrack circuits and on what date would this changeover occur?

As things stand at the moment it is perfectly legal to fly an racetrack circuit if the traffic conditions permit and you can obey the Rules of the Air with respect to conforming to the pattern, etc.

As has been said previously the big limitation with racetrack circuits is the number of aircraft which can safely be accomodated in the pattern. I believe the military limit this to 4 in, maybe 5 if one is to land.

Another factor is noise abatement considerations. Sadly, more and more circuits at GA airfields are being constrained by the NIMBY factor and we have to avoid flying over various hamlets or do split-a**e turns immediately after take off to keep the natives happy.

Last edited by fireflybob; 30th May 2004 at 17:36.