PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low-cost DEADlines
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2004, 15:22
Big Tudor
Alba Gu Brath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say that any incidents that have happened are already in the public domain via the AAIB website, either as interim or final reports. Obviously some incidents don't reach the level of AAIB and are dealt with either on a local level or are filed for reference. Some reports, by their very nature, are confidential and you wouldn't / shouldn't be able to get your hands on them.
Producing any report that implies safety is being compromised for the sake of commercial advantage is going to be extremely risky without hard, factual evidence to back it up. I would say it could also leave a person open to a potential court case for slander / libel. Producing a report from confidential reports would land you in very deep water indeed.
The fact is, airlines safety records are judged on the incidents / accidents they have had, and the findings from the subsequent investigation. For your supervisor to suggest there is no such thing as 'safe' is slightly immature and blase IMHO. To then go on and suggest that it is partly down to luck suggests a significant lack of understanding on the part of your supervisor. The fact that Southwest have never suffered a fatality after 10 million cycles suggests to me that they are operating with a highly trained, highly skilled and well motivated workforce, and probably promote an honest and open culture when it comes to reporting and resolving issues. Luck might get you 1 million fatality free cycles but I'm pretty damned sure it wouldn't get you 10 million.

To reiterate Otter's Pocket, there is a wealth of anecdotal evidence contained within PPRuNe, it just needs some digging to unearth it. If you do a search for EasyJet or Ryanair you will have more information than you can deal with! I would stress again though, a lot of the comments made here would stand very little chance in a court of law should you try to publish them in a report.