PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R/T failure
Thread: R/T failure
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2004, 08:36
Giles Wembley-Hogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlueEagle

At the risk of being pedantic (which I am afraid goes with the territory when it comes to R/T failure) the act of being "indentified" or under "radar control" makes no difference to the procedures to be adopted in the UK. The 3 minutes comes about if you are being vectored, otherwise it is 7 minutes.

(ii) If failure occurs when the aircraft is following a... SID and clearance to climb, or re-routing instructions have not been given, the procedure should be flown in accordance with the published lateral track and vertical profile, including any stepped climbs, until the last position, fix or waypoint, published for the procedure has been reached. Then for that part of 7 minutes that may remain, maintain the current speed and last assigned level or minimum safe altitude, if this higher.

If your radio fails as you change between sectors, the standard 7 minutes applies:

(b) (i) Maintain, for a period of 7 minutes, the current speed and last assigned level or minimum safe altitude, if this higher.

Pilots

It would be interesting to hear what level pilots would enter the hold at LAM on the way into Heathrow if their R/T failed before entering UK airspace and they were cruising at FL360. Any one any ideas?? I am sure the ATCOs would be interested to know!!

G W-H