PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and Pay Scales
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2004, 09:14
scud_runner

HGW

I can not find any press release or heard of any comment from QF on whole terminal issue. Virgin are the only people who have been publicly complainuig about moving into the old Ansett terminal.

As for freight if you reckon that VB had freight from day one then that has been a very well kept secret. Their website used to say VB didn't handle freight but will be in the future. From what I know they didn't have freight for a while but you are obviously better connected than I.

As for connecting pax I'm not saying that VB don't do it well all I'm saying is that by having connecting pax then this can effect your ontime performance. One reason Jetstar won't be doing it at this stage.

AS for the different pay scales well that just comes down to what each individual group negotiates for. I think that the guys at Jetstar have probably undersold themselves a tad, and in hindsight maybe should have stood up to management a bit like baggage handlers did.

Traditionally speaking aircraft pay scales went up as the MTOW increased. This roughly represents an increase in responsibility of the PIC. It is also an issue of economy of scale ie there are more people to pay for the 747 caprtains hourly wages than the pax in a Dash 8.

At the end of the day my point is that LCC sound all great now but as they grow and mature then they become like a traditional airline which effectively means that they haven't succeeded in being a LCC but just an easy way of driving everyones wages except for senior managements through the floor.