PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to say NO!
Thread: When to say NO!
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2004, 03:04
Willie Nelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking from experience there are many successful pilots out there who have turned down an early twin gig because of poor operational standards/ safety culture at the said organisation.

While I am sure you will find that some of these guys have since given up flying as all too hard and too much mucking around, I for one only became more focussed on what I want to do and where I want to be and have since moved on.

A problem arising at a nearby organisation is worth keeping in mind:

Over the last couple of years this organisation has hired a lot of junior pilots eventually progressing them on to twins if they "perform" IMO the saving grace at this organisation has been the leadership showed not by the Chief Pilot or Management but the senior pilots who work hard and remain professional under all circumstances. When push came to shove regarding regulatory conformance it has always been up to these guys to say no and make their reasons clear and loud so that the young guys did not go and fly the job.

Unfortunately, in recent times things have changed and some of the more respected assertive types have moved on and left a deep gap. The organisation is now in a position where the only guy setting any example (good or bad) is "Lucky Luke" the Chief Pilot. As a result the younger guys are simply accepting all sorts of regulatory breaches as the norm.

If you have given your time and energy to the company and showed them loyalty, all you can do is hope for their loyalty in return when you stand up for safety. Anything else is kidding yourself.

If you are pushed out of an organisation because you stand up for safety all you can do is report the breaches to the authority and spread the message around to other young hopefuls.

Good Luck!