PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warning About Gulf Air
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2004, 10:48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

Toga Boy,

me thinks it is you who needs to get a life. Instead of single handedly protecting the image of GF. How can you sit there and say in your previous posts that because it is GT its not the same as GF. What bull. My contract says GF not GT, I was initially in Bahrain then moved whether I liked it or not. That moved cost me a serious amount of money to move the family, who were established in Bahrain. We were hired just weeks before the announcement of GT and not once was it mentioned in the interview. If so I may have made a different decision, as I did have other options open to me then. Numerous new pilots have complained about the whole truth not being forthcoming in the interviews. These guys asking questions about GF/GT on this forum need some answers to make an educated decision. When other people offer them you shoot them down. Their is always more than one side to a story.

It is definitely true that when we leave our passports a stamped and we cannot work in the UAE for 6 mths. This naturally affects you if you want to work for another company in the UAE. So if you are coming hoping to get in EK or Etihad by being here, beware. This is a major issue since we got moved here as I said whether we liked it or not and now we can only leave if we dont want to work for another company in the UAE. Thats a little unfair since this does not apply to Bahrain based pilots.Schooling is also a major issue, getting them into school and the expense. Especially on a FO's salary. With the pay rises we are alot closer to Emirates than we were. As for commands, there is no set career progression laid out for the 767. The airbus fleets are clearly defined. There are guys in the right seat on the 767 that have been there over 7 yrs. At present we are short so we are working hard. If you join on the 767 it is still uncertain were you will be based. If the rumours are true it could be Abu Dhabi, Bahrain or muscat. This uncertainty is very hard on families. If you end up in Bahrain the allowances are less.

There are good and bad points about GF/GT, as with any company.

Anyway that is my opinion.