PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trappers - Blessing Or Curse?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2004, 00:01
Basil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<<Pauli Exclusion Principle>>
4 Firq Saiq !
I thought you were a pilot, not an effin' nuclear physicist

Apropos trapping in civil aviation; we'd a LOFT (Line Orientated Flight Training - which was supposed to be completely non-jeopardy - yeah, right!) which took the plane to the brink of losing roll/yaw control. We were the first crew to run the exercise so word hadn't got around.
At the time I thought this was pretty negative training because of the adverse psychological effect on a pilot of crashing the jet. Some crews did; but not us BECAUSE I'd a really switched on FO who came up with a PLAN so we did it his way and survived.
I think it was the only time in my life that my pulse went seriously up in the sim and I considered the possibility of not making it but it is forever burnt into my brain as is the survival technique.
What I learnt from that was:
a) The guy who wrote the exercise wasn't just a heartless b'stard amusing himself. He gave us a real situation which had happened in the course of a passenger flight and was marginal but (just) surviveable. (we got our own back later when he couldn't find his nav bag in the bar - now you know who you are, very kind regards, pomate )
b) We learned a lot from that exercise - listen to all the crew, don't rush in, don't give in - all sorts etc.
c) If it looks like the guy's deliberately making you screw up don't take it personally - he can't be in the pay of your wife, can he?

Standards are making sure that lazy little monkeys swing around the trees safely and effectively instead of sitting on the . . . WTF am I writing? Just in from pub - that's enough