PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots falling asleep BEFORE they report.
Old 20th May 2004, 12:49
Devils Advocate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

norman_nigel I too concur...... wherein perhaps all one can say, given the obviously vast scale of this ‘problem’, is that it really must be down to just pure luck that airliners aren't falling from the skies on a regular basis with knackered commuter pilots zzzed’ing at their controls.

I once used to commute over 100 miles to work, then do a multi-sector scheduled service / 'low cost' day, then drive home after it and I felt fine the whole time; no incidents or accidents, consistently delivering a professional level of aircraft operation, good results in the sim & appraisals, never fell asleep either in the air or on the road, etc, ...... my commute seemingly had not the slightest effect on me - so there !

However, the funny thing is that, now ( working in ‘charter’ ), when the kids / wife / postman / gasman / neighbours manage to wake me up between night flights - which I didn't do in the previous job and wherein I presently only live 30 miles from work - I've had more times when I've felt tired with the present regime than with the former & its commute - so go figure, or maybe it’s just different strokes for different folks ?!

JustBelow - When was the last time you heard of somebody calling crewing and using the ‘F’(atigue) word as a result of, say, their sleep being disturbed ( by, say, kids / wife / postman / gasman / neighbours ) preceding a night-flight wherein one might be just a tired - if not more so - albeit that one might live close to the airport ?

Ps. What FTL's are applied to the armed forces ?