PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair, why no 737-800 winglets?
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2004, 09:36
Flying Boat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ryanair, why no 737-800 winglets?

If this subject has been covered I am sorry but after a search I found no answer.

Can someone please explain why Ryanair do not have Winglets on their 737-800s, when other airlines do?

I may be wrong, however, I haven't seen any winglets on Ryanair 737-800s but seen them on others, for example, SAA.

I know Ryanair's reputation for being excellent at cost control and profit making so have a slightly confused picture as to why no winglets.

I learnt in my, ATPL studies, that winglets are effective at reducing wake vortices, thus reducing drag, extra fuel required for extra thrust to compensate, therefore reducing cost. I also know that they are most effective at slower speeds, higher angles of attack and therefore ideally suited to short haul flights.

At present, I can only summise that the weight gained (reducing payload) and extra cost of the winglets outweigh the rewards of fuel economy and saving.

Please can someone, even MOL, clarify my brain with regard to this point. My old Groundschool couldn't help.

Thank you.

FB