PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dibden Manor: Nice place but...
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2004, 10:22
UKPILOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I am in no way opposed to EU pilots being given a fair chance to compete for jobs in the UK market, I only wish that this opportunity was given to UK pilots in the EU.

I am a type-rated pilot who has applied to many companies and operators within the EU (outside of the UK). And in my experience applications abroad are very very rarely given any consideration. I think out of the 25 or so applications I have completed, I have received 1 or 2 replies - obviously "No".

Whilst the CTC scheme does seem to prefer integrated students, and those from EU countries excl. UK, it is not the only company opening itself up to EU pilots. I have recently heard of several UK and Irish operators who have offered jobs to UK low houred pilots, only to cancel them at the last minute to give the job to European contract pilots.

Now this "may" be a case of giving the job to a more experienced pilot from within the EU, but how are UK pilots ever going to get the experience to compete??

UK operators must be careful to ensure they give the UK market an opportunity to grow, and the fair chance it needs, or the future for UK pilots and training schools will continue to look bad.