PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and Pay Scales
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2004, 02:13
Three Bars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DM,

I will preface my response by saying, again, that with hinsight, AIPA dropped the ball on not getting Impulse coverage right from the start. AIPA, as well as its members, has been trying to navigate a course through new, complex waters that we, as a group, have never encountered before. At the time of Impulse's incorporation (absorption?) into the QF group, there were many issues on the burner that were probably preceived as being more important - from memory it was the debate over 737-800s (flown by QF pilots) or A320s (possibly flown by new-hires) for the domestic network. The trees were very prominently in front of the forest with the fullness of 20/20 hindsight.

AIPA managed to avert the A320 question until the advent of Jetstar. I think what irks Proppy (and others) is that the Jetstar deal was presented as a fait acompli - already agreed to by the Impulse Pilot Council - in a deal that is seen by many as a "rollover" on the part of your representatives. I do not begrudge anyone's right to take the actions that they consider to be in the best interest of their family - family must be the number one priority. However, I think that many QF pilots feel that there could have been a little more resistance. While I am not on the AIPA COM and so not fully aware of the processes that had gone on to that point, I feel that, given the circumstances, the IPC may have been able to secure AIPA membership if it had again sought this out during the initial Jetstar negotiations.

QF pilots are, I think, much more fair-minded than some people would like to think. There was no dancing in the streets when Ansett collapsed. And I would hope that those Ansett pilots who have since joined QF have not encountered the ogres that they were expecting. The huge turnout at the AIPA Special AGM on Jetstar would have convinced anyone as to the importance of the Jetstar situation to QF pilots - the desire to see coverage of all QF-group pilots into AIPA was clearly expressed. The fact that the Impulse "deal" was presented as no longer negotiable has made many QF pilots feel that the IPC sold-out, when a little firmer resolve - or another approach to AIPA - could have led to a better outcome for all.