PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilots and Divorce
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2004, 01:28
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes good on you dumpvalve.

Has anyone considered the fact that high divorce rates may be more to do with the fact that, in evolutionary terms, males and females are not actually built for life long manogamy?

What religon/society has foisted on us in the last few hundred years is a different thing entirely...that being a control mechanism.

Only in relatively recent times have various social factors, education, birth control, social acceptance etc, made it feesible for females to leave their spouses relatively painlessly. It's not so long, perhaps 40-50 yrs, since a unmarried women's potential lifestyle was VERY limited indeed.

My wife left for another pilot so I can hardly blame AIDS for the marriage ending. I was a bush pilot in those days so was home every night. We had a native helper around the house so she was not overworked at home and had a good job as a teacher.

The marriage ended because she, unilaterally, decided that she was not 'in love' with me anymore...and therefore she could bone anyone she wanted too...while I was home being an effectively single Dad to our, then 4 year old, daughter.

Now I'm an airline pilot recently forced by circumstance into long haul. I'm still a single Dad to my now 15 year old and with the help of a full time amah it works pretty well. My daughter is a remarkably well adjusted, mature, very funny, and sometimes very typical teenager. We have a great time together and I feel a lucky man indeed.

I do occasionally wonder if I'm lonely...then I get laid somewhere and that feeling that I'm 'missing' something goes away.

Girlfriends? Yes I've had several over the last 11 years. Perhaps there might be one or two left in me in the future however I'm 42 now and all the women I seem to meet want marriage and children asap.

Chuck.

Editted for the

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 18th May 2004 at 11:20.