PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and Pay Scales
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2004, 23:17
DirectAnywhere

Received 183 Likes on 39 Posts
One of the problems in Australia that doesn't exist in Europe - anecdotally I believe at least - is the progression in GA and the salaries that are paid in GA. The problem here starts right at the bottom of the ladder.

I think most people know my position on Jetstar but, that said, I left GA as a ME IFR GR1 earning 26k a year, some 18k below the award. It's therefore a bit rich for me to now start preaching to some poor bastard or bastette in the same situation that they shouldn't take that 70k a year jet job. I know that they're worth more than that, but I also know that most GA pilots are worth a lot more than they're on. Until there is an Australia wide union (sound familiar!) with the industrial muscle and balls to bring all pilots under the one umbrella and prevent undercutting in GA, the airline situation will continue to deteriorate. That means if Joe Bloggs in Horn Island is getting paid under the award, he can expect the support of 2,500 QF pilots and however many DJ, Rex, Eastern, Sunnies etc. pilots we can find.

It's a culture that's so entrenched in GA - offering less than someone else to do the job - that it was inevitable it would spill over. It's time to put this one behind us and try and work togther, and this means largely AIPA and the AFAP (as distasteful as it may be for some) to ensure that the Australian pilots now and of the future are remunerated appropriately for their work.