PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and Pay Scales
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2004, 20:58
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Proplever,
I got a question. What do you propose the guys and girls do who for whatever reason cannot get into Qantas do?
The same person who's flogged their proverbial out in the bush flying C207's and the like earning just barely the Award? You know, the folks that have stacked shelves, poured beers to earn the money to get a CPL.
Leave them earning crap wages because if they take a job with Jetstar or Virgin Blue they are shattering the conditions of the aussie airline pilot.
From an outsider who's still a member of the AFAP (and BALPA) I think your QF union dropped the ball when it came to the regionals and dare I say it, Impulse.

You are asking a question that a bloke earning barely $20-25K or if they are really lucky and on the twins (or FO on a Bandit) earning $33-35K do they knock back a chance to fly a jet earning more?

As for the guys in Impulse. What do you want them to do? Go on the dole? Say "no, I'm affecting the QF guys". Somehow I don't think it's going to happen. Yes I have a few friends in Qandom and they aren't happy about what's going on but why blame the jetstar guys? I would channel your energy to getting your union to attempt to fix the problem. (However, you first have to identify the problem.)

Me? I'm in the UK trying to batter down the attitude here that turboprop pilots aren't total newbies....