PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and Pay Scales
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2004, 19:00
proplever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jetstar and Pay Scales

I believe this deserves a new thread. It comes from the Jetstar jobs, but it was a little unfair to hijack that thread with this discussion.

Col Kurtz stated:

Prop baby, JS is not for me thanks, I like where I work and what I fly, and money is not really a problem nor a motivator for me - it comes and goes, and I do not base my feelings of self worth on who I work for or how many houses/cars/toys I have acquired. My wealth doesn't make me anybody special or a better class of person than the next John trying to make his way in the world.

But what irks me is the snotty and arrogant attitude and derision that fat cats like to pull on the those lower down the rungs.

What have YOU done to protect your conditions?? What active part did YOU play in protecting mainline's position?

Whilst we are at it, what have YOU done to contribute to the conditions of the 'collective' .

Head in the sand??? Like when Australian first got set up, you really had NO IDEA that the likes of JS were coming??

Life's been pretty good in the Torre d'Ivoire??

I have been around long enough to know that men will do what they have to do to keep the children fed - in ANY industry.....you won't change that, so don't stress, you'll live longer.
Kurtz, please understand something here. This is not about my attitude, be it arrogant or snotty or whatever else you would like to personally lay upon me.

This is about net worth. Lets take you as an example, sir. You say you are happy with your lot, money is not a motivator for you. But lets say that another person comes along, and starts doing your job for exactly half what you get paid. Additionally, your prospects for advancement are greatly reduced, and your value to the community is downgraded. Kurtz, I believe that money will become a motivator to you very quickly. Because it is a very effective measuring stick.

Forgive my indignance, but I have a strong belief that an airline pilot who has struggled through his or her training, paid a small fortune for the privellege, and finally made it to the big time deserves more than these criminals at Jetstar are paying. By accepting this deal, the Jetstar pilots have made a statement to Airline Managements throughout Australia, and indeed the world, that our profession is worth less and less. If indeed you are an Airline Pilot, and if indeed you have an ounce of self respect you will understand my sentiments here.

Now, Kurtz, you may tell me that I shouldn't stress about it, because I will never change what has happened. And you are probably correct. But please don't limit my right to express my opinion about what has occurred here.

Another thread has recently been locked following a similar discussion, albeit on somewhere less than amicable terms. Thats because the instant that any of these Jetstar guys are critisized, they turn the thread into a slanging match. Now, I will certainly admit that over the years, I have done my fair share of sledging.

But my challenge to everyone on this Bulletin Board is this. Lets debate this topic, without resorting to sledging. Without playing the man. But lets have some serious answers.

To all Jetstar pilots. Are you aware that you have degraded pilot salary and conditions in Australia for the forseeable future?