PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilots and Divorce
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2004, 08:36
Spartacan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, we all have our take on this issue.

I think airline pilots have two issues to deal with in married life.

First, is their own nature. The job requires that you can remain emotionally detached from your own situation in order to make safe decisions. Imagine the scenario where your family are on a board and you are hi-jacked for example. Your duty is to look after the interests of the majority never mind your own personal concerns. Also, the lifestyle requires you to detach yourself from family circumstances at any time of the day or night at your employers whim. What your family want (or need) will have to come second.

I think the job can make it difficult for a lot of individuals to form close, emotional, relationships.

Second, of course, is the wretched lifestyle. I think the problem is not so much the going away - it is what you are like when you get back after a trip. I asked my wife about this point. She feels that women need to off load, be listened to and feel included when a husband returns from a trip. Often, due to jet lag, tiredness, stress and fatigue, the pilot can be very 'off message' for a day or too.. The relationship can suffer at this point. Then is time to go away again . . .

I pulled out of the airline industry when we started a family. It took a couple of years to get established in a new direction. We are poorer but I now have the time with family that is needed to keep everyone happy.

My position on the whole issue? If you want to go airline flying then consider it a short career to be completed by your mid thirties. Plan a second career and don't look back.

Last edited by Spartacan; 16th May 2004 at 10:07.