PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Jigsaw
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2004, 06:48
Night Watchman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting pictures, I can see from that lifting technique why Bond aren't recruiting that many people!

Despite Bond and BP's 'long history' of SAR trials I should point out that the Jigsaw trials were slightly more complicated than getting some poor sod to climb up a rope ladder!

Nowadays the BP Health and Safety Department would have a f**king fit at the very thought of an untrained man climbing a rope ladder to a helicopter without the aid of safety ropes, trained medics, roped off areas, HSE consultants and a bouncy castle. But it is nice to see that the man in question has one hand on the ladder rail at all times! So no red card there!

In fact it's a very different North Sea to the one Bond left, as I believe they are now discovering. So I have no idea where they are going to get their staff from. There aren't that many qualified guys around and as anyone who's been involved in SAR will tell you - SAR training takes time and experience. It's not just a case of putting crew on a 3 month SAR course to get a tick in the box. If BP and Bond are serious about this then they are going to need to get the right guys to run it and man it. SAR is about experience and that's hard to find.

There were a lot of lessons learnt during the trial on both the flying and engineering side that will have to be learnt all over again.

Anyway, good luck chaps.

But the real burning question is what are they going to call their aircraft? Bristow owns the 'jigsaw' callsign so what will Bond use? Answers on a postcard.....